designs

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sweeeeeet

Another Post from Matt!! Sorry for those of you who were anticipating this blog's original author this week. She shall return with a vengeance I'm sure. But for now, you're stuck with me. 
The past while we have had little success with getting a blog out, mostly because we have been struggling to get pictures taken. So these current additions are the more recent and there will be more very soon as we've finally gotten the hang of taking pictures when we go out. 
Our life lately has had some interesting happenings. We had a few wildlife sightings! 

(we didnt take this. just imagine what it was like.)
The other day, as we were waiting for the bus (sigh) we noticed some women walking along the beach that is next to the bus stop. As they passed, we noticed, not far behind them, a little head peering above the water. Upon closer inspection, we realized it was in fact our first seaturtle sighting. We anxiously told the women (like any good tour director would do) who were so excited to follow the little guy along the coastline as he headed who knows where. Probably as far away from the ladies as possible. Sorry little friend. 
Also, the other day as we were headed in after a long day at the beach, we noticed a very strange couple. A very skinny white guy with unnaturally red hair and a black lady with him that had buzzed hair that was the same color! They were very hippie-ish and did a lot of sun salutations. Anyways, suddenly the woman points enthusiastically at the horizon and exclaims something. We naturally glanced that direction and were just in time to see a huge whale tale splash the surface as it submerged. 

So cool.

We also found a huge crab today. There are fishermen that fish from the shore near our apartment and today we found one of their lines that had broke. I started coiling the rope and trying to find the snag and found that it wasn't far from the shore. As I approached the rock where it was caught, I saw a crab about 6 inches long chewing on the octopus chunk that was on the hook. 

This is not what we saw. This is a European green crab. But it was creepy like this. Creepier, even.
So creepy. For the life of me, i cant understand how people, at some point in history, saw that nasty, creepy, spider-looking animal and said, "I bet, with a little butter, That would be great to eat!" *shudder* Anyways, Jess once again tried to convince me to catch it so she could live vicariously through me. I said no. fancy that. 
:)

Life for me lately has been great. I've developed a schedule and make every day count. I know there must be some reason I'm unemployed right now. I think there is a work for me to do in the meantime while I search. Jess is still trying to figure out her summer plans and is trying to apply for an accounting internship in Alaska so she can come hang with me while I work for RCT again. We are excited.
And now for some random pictures.   
This is us at the bus stop. There is an LDS church accross the street from the bus stop. I try to see Jess off to school daily and sometimes see her home. It's fun to people watch on the bus for sure. :)

This is the view of where the bus comes to pick us up. If I had a nickel for every time I've looked that direction and thought about killing bus drivers, I'd have a nickel...maybe several dollars.

Just one of Jessica's toe nail colors of late. We made a deal long ago that as long as she keeps her toenails done in a cute way, I'd always give her foot massages when she wants them. She holds to that promise often, although I'd probably do it anyway. Also, she loves those sandals. She got them at ShuzyQ's in Alaska and they are definitely paying off. 


The view from the bus stop of the beach (I told you these were random pics). This is the very place we saw the cute little turtle. I'm not sure why, but i always imagine turtles as guys instead of girls. Maybe it's those Finding Nemo turtles. Just cant picture girls.

 
They've ruined me. "Sweeeeet"

We took this one night as we walked onto campus. I love palm trees. I'm not even sure why. they just make me happy. Also the sky's puples pinks and oranges didnt hurt. :)

We've taken to going to the beach when Jessica just cant take another minute of homework. We'll generally take 10 minutes across the street and literally run around like kids at recess. We've had long jump competitions, played in the water, and even done a yoga pose or two. One of Jessica's favorites is the "Run up and jump into Matt's arms" game. Recently she's started giving me warning first which is a plus when you're on unsteady sand. 

In other news, Happy Valentines everyone!! We had a good one mostly because of our wonderful married student ward. Such a good time. 
Well, we're officially involved in our ward. We are Sunday school teachers, and have made some good friends. We went to a ward dinner for Valentines day that was a little disappointing actually. After arriving, we ate our food and socialized but were suddenly interrupted by the elders quorum president calling all of the elders to the front. After gathering up there, our elders quorum president announces that we are going to have a dance-off for our wives to watch. Oh jeez. For anyone who knows me, you'll know I LOVE to dance and was more than happy to get my groove on. (that's me in the blue up there) However, I didn't win, thanks to a guy in skinny jeans who risked all and tried to do the splits in front of the ward. He didn't succeed but what he did got him the vote for best dancer. I had a blast but would've loved to dance with my WIFE on valentines instead of a bunch of dudes. Just sayin. The dance portion ended with 1 slow song that we danced and then ended abruptly and early. Grr.  
The chapel was decorated by decorated white boards. One the of the white boards said "Now go home and make some babies!! -your bishop" on it. Wow. That's all I can say. Also, i'd just like to point out how tan we are in this picture. Aw yeah. Happy V-day indeed. 

In closing, this is us on the way to church. We love our life here in the Aloha state. What a great time of life for us. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and love on our behalf. I just want to thank you all for both of us for the great support you are. Keep it up! 

1 comment:

  1. That was quite compelling! Thanks for sharing! BTW, the Vday party sounds......interesting. I chuckled at the white board decorations. What the? I guess there arent any party decor stores nearby, huh? LOVE to hear your stories, thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete