Happy Independence Day!
I always hear stories about barbecues and cook outs taking place on the 4th of July. I may have even participated in several of these, but I do not really remember very many of them. This year I tried to do something to better commemorate the occasion. So... we made a cake :)
(Matt's Note: I was on tour with a rather large group feeling the weight of complaining people when my phone buzzed and i looked down to this picture. "look what i made" was all it said. I had to smile at the sheer cuteness of Jessica and her common lie that she has no artistic ability.)
I have never made a flag cake before but I really wanted to this year. I was craving some berries and cream. It just happened to end up with 13 stripes on it. Shear luck!
(Matt's Note: They had his whole barbecue thing the day I was getting home from tour...before I got there. :) yep. They couldn't wait another 4 hours until 930pm till I got there. Turns out there was something about it being a bit late for an outdoor barbecue. GOSH! haha the food was wonderful as leftovers too.... I'd also like to say that the tour after this occasion I went out and got a fresh grilled steak in Denali and enjoyed it immensely. Take that! :) )
We had an official 4th of July Barbecue and it was awesome. Of course we grilled some good old fashion beef patties but we also found these really yummy chicken patties that have spinach and cheese and stuff mixed in. There was also grilled corn on the cob, zucchini, and mushrooms.
We also had potato salad, carrot sticks, homemade onion rings, and of course every dipping sauce known to man. Of course the best part was the bacon I put on my hamburger. There was so much yummy food I almost didn't have enough room for all of it... almost. ;)
Oh and for dessert we also had some amazing macaroons and apple crisp.
We were able to spend time with family and enjoy one another's company. It was a very good night and I really enjoyed spending time with family, even though my wonderful husband was not able to come to the whole of it.
I truly am grateful for this great country in which we live, for all the lives that were lost protecting our rights, and for the opportunity I have to be apart of it today. I recently have been inspired to learn more about our history and the things that have shaped our country. Learn from the past to help shape our future.
(Matt's Note: Happy 4th Everyone! I hope you all had a great day of fireworks and barbecues. May God bless our precious liberty and help us to always remember those who gave their names, lives and sacred honor to establishing, preserving, and defending this wonderful nation.)

No comments:
Post a Comment